Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers
Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers’ latest “The Bear” is what you would expect from Kellogg. This is quirky, heartfelt, rock music that flirts with alt country and pop. The songs that win the most on this record are the big pop songs. The songs “Shady Esperanto and the Young Hearts” and “All Part of the Show” are the biggest winners. Great hooks, lots of snap to the songs and really just pop music in a very pure and likable form. The softer stuff is impressive in spots too “A(With Love)” is a remarkable track, and so is “Satisfied Man.” More than anything, the stories in the lyrics on both of those songs are impressive. Add those four songs to a bit of a goofy title track in “The Bear” and you’ve got Stephen Kellogg’s latest being a good album. 60% of this stuff is very good but the other 40% is either decent or touches into the boring side of things. Still there’s lots of good music on this latest release, and some incredible song writing too.